Student Status

Full-time Students – Degree-seeking students taking 12 or more credits per term

Part-time Students – Degree-seeking students taking fewer than 12 credits per term

The following number of completed credits determines a student’s class level:

Class Level Credits Completed
Freshman 1 - 25
Sophomore 26 or more

Enrollment Appeal

Students requesting to add, drop, or withdraw after the deadline must submit an Enrollment Appeal to the Office of the Registrar. This includes students who were legitimately dropped for no show by faculty. The Enrollment Appeal form can be found at

To be considered the appeal must demonstrate, with supporting evidence, an extenuating circumstance which prevented the student from meeting the deadline. If the Registrar determines the existence of a legitimate extenuating circumstance, the Registrar will contact the faculty member(s) to explain the situation and determine the student’s likelihood for success.

Student appeals without an extenuating circumstance, lacking supporting evidence, or where the faculty member believes the student would not be successful will be denied.

Name, Address, or Phone Number Change

It is the students’ responsibility to ensure that their information in our system is current and accurate. When a student’s name, mailing address, permanent address, phone number, major or other pertinent information changes, he or she must promptly notify the Office of the Registrar and fill out the appropriate form to reflect the change in our system. Necessary forms are available online, in the Matrix, and at off-campus centers. Students are responsible for any delays in communications sent from CSI when an incorrect address is on file.

Telephone Consumer Protection Act

The College of Southern Idaho or its agents may contact students on any cell or land-line phone number that is attached to his/her CSI record. An auto-dialing system with a pre-recorded message may be used to contact students in case of Emergency, CSI notifications, or collection matters.


The college recognizes that regular attendance is the student’s responsibility. Instructors evaluate the lack of attendance in terms of the course requirements and take reasonable course of action, including but not limited to, dropping students for no show. A class missed due to required participation in a verified school activity will not be considered an absence. Students who miss class or are absent for any reason, are still responsible for completing all course requirements. When the number of class hours absent exceeds the number of course credits, the instructor has the authority to send a notice to the student as a warning and/or refer the student to his/her advisor.

Students who stop attending yet do not withdraw from the class may earn a failing grade. Once the Withdraw period has elapsed, if the number of class hours absent exceeds twice the number of course credits and it would not be possible for the student to pass the course, the instructor has the authority to fail the student in the course. The student would not be allowed to take the final exam if a final grade has been issued.


Students absent from any written test shall be regarded as having failed that test. However, if such absence is caused by some unavoidable extenuating circumstance (the burden of proof lies with the student), the instructor may give a comparable test to the student at a later date.

Grade Appeal

A student may appeal a final grade that he/she feels is incorrect or unfair through the grade appeal process. The policy, procedures, and forms are available from the Office of the Registrar web site:

NOTE: The grade appeal process must be started, and the paperwork formally submitted to the Office of the Registrar, no later than 20 business days after grades have been posted.

Repeating Courses

The effect of repeating a course is as follows:

Only the grade for the most recent iteration of the course will count in the GPA and graduation.

All iterations of the course will continue to show on the transcript with their respective grades.

Certain courses may be repeated and the credits accumulated. For all others, the previous course is marked to show that it has been repeated.

Federal Financial Aid recipients may repeat a grade of a D or F only one time with the help of Federal funds.

Grade Code Categories

Grades are earned upon completion of a course in the following categories:

Grade Points/ Credit Hour Description Used to Calculate GPA?
A 4 Excellent Yes
B 3 Good Yes
C 2 Satisfactory Yes
D* 1 Unsatisfactory
*not considered passing in all classes
F 0 Fail Yes
P - Pass-satisfactory progress of at least ‘C’ level No
NP - No pass – unsatisfactory progress below ‘C’ level No
NC - No credit No
I - Incomplete No
AU - Audit No
NG - Non-Graded No
W - Withdrawal No
WIP - Work In Progress No


Instructors can enter a grade of Incomplete (I) if both of the following conditions are present:

Your work has been satisfactory through the first half of the semester (or course).

Extenuating circumstances make it impossible for you to complete the course before the end of the semester.

In order to receive an incomplete, you and your instructor must agree to a contract stipulating the work you must do and the time in which it must be completed for you to receive a grade in the class. The contract is available on the CSI website: The contract time varies as set by the instructor but may not exceed one year. If no grade other than incomplete has been assigned at the end of the contract, the grade of F will automatically be assigned. The grade of F may not be changed without approval of the Appeals Committee. You may not remove the incomplete from your transcript by re-enrolling in the class during another semester. A grade of incomplete is excluded from GPA calculations until you receive a final grade in the course.

Grade-Point Average (GPA)

CSI calculates three types of grade-point average (GPA):

Semester GPA - Includes all coursework receiving a letter grade (including developmental coursework) taken during a specific semester. This GPA appears on the CSI transcript as “Term Totals.”

Cumulative GPA - Includes all coursework receiving a letter grade (including developmental coursework) a student has taken. This GPA appears on the CSI transcript as “Career Totals.” Cumulative GPA is used to calculate academic standing and to determine honors received at graduation.

Graduation GPA - Includes all college level coursework receiving a letter grade (excluding developmental coursework) a student has taken while at CSI and all college level transfer coursework accepted by CSI. This GPA appears on the degree audit report. The graduation GPA will be used to determine if a student meets the minimum 2.0 GPA required to graduate.

Note: Audited courses, Pass/Fail courses, and courses in which students receive an Incomplete are not used to calculate GPA.

Number of quality points = Number of credits * Number of quality points per credit.

Total Quality Points Earned

-------------------------------------- = GPA

GPA Credits Attempted

Quality Points:

A – 4 quality points per credit

B – 3 quality points per credit

C – 2 quality points per credit

D – 1 quality point per credit

F – 0 quality point per credit


Transcripts are part of a student’s permanent record. They show all the courses and credits in which the student was enrolled at the end of the drop period each semester, the final grade for each course, the courses from which the student was withdrawn, credits attempted and credits earned, courses repeated, grade point average for the semester and cumulative grade point average, academic standing and honors received.

Current students can access and print out their unofficial transcripts from MyCSI for free. Unofficial transcripts are available for $2 if provided by CSI staff instead.

Requests for official transcripts may be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse ( or in writing to the Office of the Registrar. Student signature is required to release a transcript. Official transcripts will be released only after the student has fulfilled all financial obligations to the college. Normal processing time for an official transcript is 1-3 business days. Current transcript fees can be found at

The Office of the Registrar makes every effort to ensure that transcripts are up-to-date and accurate. However, if students believe that there is an error or omission on their transcript, they should contact the Office of the Registrar with copies of relevant documentation. For more information visit:


The National Student Clearinghouse is the College of Southern Idaho’s authorized agent for providing all (attendance/degree and enrollment) verifications.

Insurance companies, housing providers, lending agencies, employer/employment agencies, etc. may contact the National Student Clearinghouse directly. Web access is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at

Phone: (703) 472-4200


Mail: 3454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300

Herndon, VA 20171

Current students may access the National Student Clearinghouse online through MyCSI by selecting the link to Free Student Self-Service, for enrollment verification and other options. This allows students to print, free of charge, an official enrollment verification certificate for themselves and service providers.

CSI provides the current semester’s enrollment information to the clearinghouse approximately two weeks prior to the semester start date. This information is subject to change due to the student’s right to adjust his/her schedule according to the College’s add/drop and withdrawal policies.

Articulation and Transfer

Transfer from CSI:

The College of Southern Idaho has articulation agreements with all Idaho public colleges and universities. This means that students who receive an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree may transfer to any public four-year university in Idaho with junior level standing. Students who receive an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree may transfer a minimum of 16 credits to any in-state public higher education institutions. A maximum total of 70 lower-division credits may be accepted by Idaho public four-year universities for transfer from CSI. Other colleges may accept fewer credits. CSI also has articulation agreements with several out-of-state institutions. Contact the Office of Instruction and Academic Affairs for specifics at (208) 732-6281.

Students who graduated from CSI with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree will be considered as having satisfied the lower division general education core requirements and shall be granted junior standing upon transfer to a four-year public institution in Idaho and will not be required to complete additional lower division general education core courses. This is also true if students complete the Academic Certificate. Students who complete the Academic Certificate should request certification from the Office of the Registrar through the graduation application process.

This policy applies to lower division general education core requirements only. It is not intended to meet specific major or graduation requirements. Students who plan to transfer should consult with their advisors and make early contact with a representative from the institution to which they intend to transfer. It is also recommended that students consult the catalog of the transfer institution to see which courses will be required to fulfill their graduation requirements. Any CSI course with a number below 100 is considered below a college freshman level and will not be accepted for transfer credit.

Transfer to CSI:

CSI accepts transfer credits from postsecondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The list of regional accrediting agencies can be found at:

Transfer students who have earned an Associate of Arts degree, an Associate of Science degree (or higher), or who have completed the general education core at a public Idaho Institution will be considered core certified, and will not be required to take additional lower division general education core courses. Transfer students must provide official transcripts that show the degree earned or the completion of general education core from the transferring institution.

Transfer students who have completed coursework at regionally accredited institutions should submit official transcripts for course by course evaluation. Those students who have met CSI’s general education core with transfer coursework will be considered core certified.

Major courses are evaluated on a course by course basis regardless of whether the student has earned a degree or completed general education core at any regionally accredited institution. Transfer students must complete their final 25% of credits or a total of 75 % of credits at CSI in order to graduate from the College of Southern Idaho.

College of Southern Idaho students may appeal the acceptance of transfer credits by submitting a Transfer Review Request (available on MyCSI) to the Office of the Registrar. Students should include the catalog course description and syllabi for the course in question.

Right of Appeal

Students have the right to appeal outcomes imposed by implementation of College policies. All appeals must be in writing and must be submitted to the respective CSI official(s). Appropriate documentation of extenuating circumstances will be required and the timeliness of the appeal will also be considered.

Catalog Rights for Graduation

The College of Southern Idaho issues a new catalog for every academic year (fall, spring, and summer consecutive semesters). Students seeking to earn a degree or certificate from CSI must satisfy program graduation requirements, which may change from one catalog to the next. Students are responsible for remaining informed about these changes.

CSI evaluates students’ degree and/or certificate completion based on the graduation requirements stipulated in the catalog at the time the student matriculates.

Students who have enrolled in credit classes at CSI for at least one term per academic year will be considered “continuously enrolled” and may remain in the catalog they matriculated in. Continuously enrolled students also have the option of meeting the graduation requirements stated in the catalog in effect under a more current year. Students may request to declare the current catalog by submitting a formal request to the Office of the Registrar.

Students who lose continuous enrollment status are considered “returning students” and are subject to graduation requirements outlined in the catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment in a declared major as a degree-seeking student.

If while enrolled at CSI, a student changes or declares a new major, he/she may continue in the catalog he/she matriculated in, unless the new major was not offered that academic year. Students will need to complete a Change of Major form in MyCSI if they desire to change majors. CSI recognizes only one declared major; however, students may earn two or more degrees and/or certificates simultaneously, provided students satisfy catalog requirements.

All requirements for graduation outlined in the applicable catalog must be met before the degree or certificate is awarded. Students need to follow the catalog in its entirety - they may not elect to follow different catalogs for their general education requirements and for their major program requirements.

Catalog rights do not exempt students from changes in course prerequisites. Students must follow prerequisites stated in the course descriptions in the current catalog.

Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution are advised to review that institution’s catalog for catalog rights established for students transferring in from other colleges.

CSI reserves the right, at any time and without advance notice, to withdraw or cancel courses and programs, change course program offerings and prerequisite coursework, change admission and registration requirements, and alter other regulations which could affect students at the time of graduation.

CSI reserves the right to update requirements for students after five years if changes in the program of study make such an update necessary.