Resident Status for Tuition Purposes

Residency determination for tuition purposes is governed by rules and regulations adopted by the College of Southern Idaho Board of Trustees and Idaho Code § 33-2110, § 33-2110A and § 33-2110B. The College of Southern Idaho will provide a waiver of nonresident tuition and fees to students who can prove to the institution that they meet the eligibility criteria set forth under Section 3679(c) of Title 38, United States Code.

Based on information provided by the applicant in the application for admission, the Admissions Office makes an initial determination concerning the student’s residency status for tuition purposes (e.g. Idaho/out-of-state, in-district/out-of-district). If residency information is missing or incomplete the student status will default to non-resident, and the tuition will default to out-of-state.

In general, a student enrolling into the College of Southern Idaho shall not be deemed a resident of the community college district, or of a county, or of the State of Idaho, unless the student established domicile primarily for purposes other than education within said district, county, or the State, for at least twelve (12) months continuously prior to the beginning of the term for which the student enrolls.

The student’s residency status remains unchanged unless the student submits a Residency Redetermination form with the required documentation to the Office of the Registrar on or before the end of the late registration period (first Friday of the term), and a redetermination is made based on the evidence supplied. The burden of proof in requesting a change in resident status rests with the student. Qualifications for residency must be met prior to the opening day of the semester for which reclassification is sought. Students whose residency redetermination request is denied may appeal the decision by submitting a written request to the Registrar. All appeals must be submitted (or postmarked) within ten (10) calendar days after the date of notification of residency decision that is being appealed. The student shall describe in detail the reasons why the original residency determination is believed to be erroneous. Within thirty (30) days following the receipt of the student’s written request to appeal the decision, the Registrar shall issue a determination and notify the student in writing. If the student is not satisfied with the determination of the Registrar, he/she may appeal to the Associate Vice President of Student Services within ten (10) calendar days after notification of Registrar denial. Failure to comply shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification for the applicable term.

Once a student is determined to be a resident of the State of Idaho, a further determination is made on district residency. District residency is based on county residency. The College of Southern Idaho community college district comprises Jerome County and Twin Falls County.

The College reserves the right to audit students at any time with regard to eligibility for Idaho/district resident status and to reclassify students who are registered under an improper classification. Idaho/district residency classification or reclassification based upon materially erroneous, false or misleading statements or omissions by or in support of the applicant shall be set aside retroactively upon the discovery of the erroneous nature of such statements. Any student having paid less than required to the College because of an erroneous classification or reclassification which is subsequently set aside, will repay any and all amounts not properly paid because of the erroneous classification or reclassification. If a student concealed information or furnished false or misleading information and was classified incorrectly as a result, he or she will also be subject to appropriate disciplinary and/or legal action. It shall be the responsibility of the student to notify the Office of the Registrar of possible changes in residency and to furnish all requested documentation in a timely fashion.

Students are responsible for paying the tuition and fees owed on their accounts by the established due date. Resident tuition rates shall be effective for the semester in which a student is reclassified to resident status. If residency (Idaho and/or district) is granted after payment was received, the difference will be refunded within a reasonable time to the student (a Request for Refund form must be filled out and submitted to the Business Office).

Waiver of Out-of-State Tuition or Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Waiver of out-of-state tuition is a state and college sponsored form of financial assistance which waives a portion of the out-of-state tuition for a limited number of students who are not residents of the State of Idaho. Students need to be aware that the time accrued while receiving the waiver will NOT contribute toward the length of time required for residency.

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Students who are residents of WICHE states may enroll at participating two- and four-year college programs outside of their home state at a reduced tuition rate. WICHE states include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Residents of the Pacific Island U.S. Territories, including American Samoa, Northern Marianas, and Guam, and free-standing states including the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and Palau, may also be eligible for the WUE program.

To be eligible for these programs, a student must be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes, enroll as a student at the College of Southern Idaho, be degree-seeking in eligible courses, and complete an application for out-of-state tuition waiver. The completed application must be returned to the CSI Student Financial Aid Office. The deadline for fall semester consideration is August 15. The deadline for spring consideration is December 15. Out-of-state tuition waiver awards will be made based on the number of credits the student is enrolled in at 8:00 a.m. on the second Monday of a regular semester. If an application is submitted and the student’s enrollment plan changes, the student must notify the CSI Financial Aid Office. Funds are limited and are awarded at a first come first serve basis. Grades are evaluated at the end of each semester and 2.5 semester GPA is required for continuation of the award. Students are eligible for a maximum of four Fall and/or Spring semesters and two Summer semesters.  Students must submit a separate application for the Summer semester to be considered for the Out-of-State tuition waiver for that term and will be awarded as funds allow.

Students outside the Western Undergraduate Exchange states should fill out the tuition waiver application form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office for waiver consideration.


District residency is based on county residency. The College of Southern Idaho community college district comprises Twin Falls County and Jerome County. Legal residents of Idaho counties with community college districts (Twin Falls, Jerome, Ada, Canyon, Bonneville, and Kootenai counties) are considered in-district residents for tuition and fee purposes.


Students whose permanent residence is in Idaho but outside of Jerome, Twin Falls, Ada, Canyon, Bonneville, and Kootenai counties are charged out-of-district fees of $50 per credit up to $500 per semester in addition to in-district tuition and fees. Idaho counties without a community college district pay the student’s out of-district fees not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) each semester for a two (2) semester year for a full-time student, up to a maximum of three thousand dollars ($3,000) lifetime liability, provided the student completes and submits to the CSI Business Office the Certificate of Residency form at the time of registration and residency can be verified by the county of residence. If residency is not verified by the county, the student is responsible for paying in-district tuition and fees and the balance, if any, of the out-of-district fees above the maximum liability of the county of his/her residence. If verification is not received from the student’s county of residence the student is responsible for out-of-district tuition and fees.

Out-of-district students must submit a Certificate of Residency form every academic year in accordance with your county requirements, at the time of registration, to the County Clerk of the student’s declared county. Certificate of Residency forms are available online at If the student’s county is unable to verify the student’s legal residency and does not pay the amount billed, the student remains responsible for the out-of-district portion of tuition.